Welcome to the 13th episode of "FASD Informed", sponsored and produced by the North Carolina nonprofit organization, NCFASD Informed. This episode is titled "A Voice To Be Heard- A Bio Mom's FASD Journey". Podcast host, Natalie Vecchione, interviews Melissa Moore. Melissa is a biological mom of a child with an FASD. Melissa is also a mama of four and raising her family with her number one supporter and love- her spouse. Melissa's passions are keeping active and being outdoors. Her other priorities include quality time with her family, family game night and family movie night. Melissa is a fierce advocate in the FASD and Mental Health communities. Melissa works as an Educational Assistant by day and active mom of 4 kids by night....and she loves helping others to understand their worth and importance in life.
This candid and important episode includes:
- Melissa's journey and her pregnancy story.
- When Melissa began to become aware of the symptoms that were a result of her drinking in the first weeks her pregnancy (when she didn't realize she was actually pregnant).
- The steps and action she took in supporting her child's needs, once she learned that her child had an FASD.
- The stigma that she faced of a biological mom of a child with an FASD.
- What made Melissa decide to be an advocate in the FASD community.
- Her message to other biological moms who may suspect their child may have an FASD and to ALL parents of children / teens / adults with and FASD.
Melissa Moore on Instagram @ms.melissajan