Welcome to the 11th episode of "FASD Informed", sponsored and produced by the North Carolina nonprofit organization, NCFASD Informed. This episode is titled "Self Care for Caregivers? (Yes, Please!). Podcast host, Natalie Vecchione, interviews Cami Nichols of "My Kiddos Advocate". Cami is the mom of two kids, ages 13 and 15, both of whom with diverse abilities, whom grew in Cami's heart and not in her belly. Cami's daughter, who joined their family through adoption, was diagnosed with an FASD at the age of 9. Cami's son also lives with ADHD and ODD. Both of Cami's children have experienced trauma in different ways. Cami currently works at Chehalis Community School on the S'tailles Aborignal Land Reserve and volunteers as a Resource Parent for the Family Support Institute in British Columbia. Cami started "My Kiddos Advocate" (on Instagram and Facebook) about a year ago, as a way to spread awareness and support other caregivers who have similar experiences.
Topics included in this episode:
- Cami's journey in becoming a mom (and learning about FASD prior to becoming a mom) and how Cami is involved in the FASD Community as a support and advocate.
- Why are caregivers, of those individuals with an FASD, at a higher risk for burnout and added stressors (and defining those added stressors)?
- What obstacles do caregivers, of individuals with an FASD, face in trying to practice self-care?
- Everyday examples of self-care
- Different breathing techniques to aid in relaxation and focus
- The importance of connection, sleep and breathing!
Cami Nichols on Instagram and Facebook as @mykiddosadvocate
Cami Nichols- firstname.lastname@example.org
Podcast Host- Natalie Vecchione